- Do I need to raise funds during a particular timeframe to get Plus1 matched funding?
Yes. You must run your campaign and raise funds within the fundraising campaign period specified in the program guidelines.
Plus1 will not match funds raised before or after this time.
- How has the 2017/2018 Plus1 program changed?
This year, Plus1 has had several changes. We’ve established two streams for applicants.
Stream A is for applicants who have a turnover of less than $500,000. Applicants in this stream can request up to $25,000 in matched funding from Plus1.
Stream B is for applicants who have a turnover in excess of $500,000 and who remained under the cap limit of $5 million. Applicants in Stream B can request up to $50,000 in matched funding.
We’ve made this small change to better support organisations with a lower annual turnover applying for funding through Plus1 and to emphasise one of the core intents of the Plus1 program; to provide a transformative fundraising opportunity to an organisation that can equip them with a foundation for growing future private sector support.
We’ve also brought the program dates forward, to allow for an increase in review time (now eight weeks).
- What do I need to complete the application?
All Plus1 applications must outline:
- Your organisation
- What stream you are eligible for.
- The proposed fundraising campaign and target.
- The groups and networks to be approached during the campaign.
- Key responsibility areas for fundraising staff.
- The elements of your fundraising activity and marketing strategy.
- How Plus1 will be used to leverage support from the private sector.
- The anticipated impact of the campaign and project/activity on your organisation’s sustainability.
- The proposed project/activity and case for support.
- The budget for the proposed project/activity.
- Audited accounts (to be provided).
You’ll also need to support budget figures for external services or products such as consultancy fees, hardware purchases, software expenses, etc. with quotes from suppliers.
- How does Plus1 work?
Plus1 aims to help organisations build new relationships and networks, increase their private sector support, and develop their fundraising capacity.
We do this by offering matched funding as an incentive to help you gather the support your organisation needs. It’s a particularly effective leverage tool.
Put simply, if your Plus1 application is successful, you run a fundraising campaign to raise money for a project of your choice; and we match whatever you raise during the campaign, capped at either $25,000 or $50,000 depending on the scale of your organisation. So you effectively double your fundraising dollars!
So far, Plus1 has supported more than 200 organisations around Australia to reach their fundraising targets and realise their projects.
- Can you help me write my application?
We’re always here to help! We’ve developed new resources and case studies on our website that help you think holistically about your professional practice and develop knowledge about the various income streams available to artists across government funding, crowdfunding, donations, foundations, sponsorship, and selling products and services. Our expectation is that you have taken the time to read these important resources before applying.
- How do I maximise my chances of a success?
Most importantly: read all the resources we’ve put together for you. Read the guidelines and expression of interest form thoroughly before you apply, and well before the closing date!
- What do you mean by ‘leveraging’?
Leveraging is just another way of explaining how you will use the dollar-for-dollar matched funding to attract donors and partners and reach your fundraising target. This is not your typical grant or funding opportunity – the harder you work it, the better the result!
- Who is Plus1 for?
Plus1 is for small-to-medium organisations in Australia’s arts industry. So that we can most effectively support this part of the sector, we’ve chosen to define eligible organisations as those that:
- are a legally constituted entity (with an ABN) and are registered as a not-for-profit organisation (as defined by the Australian Taxation Office)
- have an annual turnover of less than $5 million in the previous financial year
- are based in Australia, and are carrying out the majority of their arts activity or practice within Australia
- are operating with the primary purpose of providing arts and cultural opportunities for Australian artists and audiences
If you’re not sure if your organisation fits into this box, it’s best to give us a call.
- Are government agencies/entities eligible to apply?
Yes. Non-profit arts and cultural organisations are eligible to apply, provided they are able to raise funds from the private sector and demonstrate that funds will be directed to a dedicated arts entity engaging professional artists (e.g: a council-run gallery or an arts and health centre that employ professional artists).
- What types of projects and activities will Plus1 support?
The fundraising target and the project or activity you take on with the funds you raise is totally up to you. You don’t need to choose a project from the examples listed in the guidelines; if it addresses an identified need in your organisation and presents as an attractive proposition for donors, then it’s good to go.
What’s important is that you show us how Plus1 will help your organisation find new donors, and the strategy you’ve put together to make this happen. In particular, Plus1 is about finding and developing new avenues of support. Reaching out to those who haven’t supported you before should be an important part of your fundraising strategy.
You also need to show us why your project is important, and how the campaign will benefit your organisation in the long term.
- Who and what won’t you support?
Recipients of Plus1 funding in the previous year are not eligible. Schools and tertiary training institutions are also not eligible.
There’s a range of different items and activities we can’t match, either. These are listed in the program guidelines.
- What if my project’s happening before 1 July, 2019?
While we’d prefer that supported projects take place in the 2019/20 financial year, we can make the occasional exception depending on circumstances.
It’s best to give us a call.
- What do I need to complete the application form?
You’ll need to provide:
- A brief professional biography
- An outline of some of your key artistic achievements or career highlights
- An outline of your future artistic practice
- An outline of the project you’re seeking to fundraise to support
- A budget outline of your project
- A timetable of activity for future plans
- An outline of how you’re expecting to finance your professional practice in the future
- An outline of your experience with fundraising, and how it could help shape your practice in the future.
- What about individual artists, or groups?
- Can I apply for this round if I received Plus1 funding in 2016/17 or earlier?
Yes you can, if your organisations does not have an existing or outstanding funding agreement with us.
If you’ve received Plus1 funding from us before, you’ll need to tell us in your application how your new fundraising campaign has built off the success of your earlier Plus1 campaign.