- Do I need to raise funds during a particular timeframe to get Plus1 matched funding?
Yes. You must run your campaign and raise funds within the fundraising campaign window specified in the program guidelines.
Plus1 will not match funds raised before or after this time.
- What do I need to complete the application?
Please note: Applications for the 2018/19 round of this program are now closed. Subscribe to our newsletter for future funding announcements and opportunities.
All Plus1 applications must outline:
- Your organisation
- What stream you are eligible for
- The proposed fundraising campaign strategy and target
- The key messages of support for the fundraising campaign
- Key responsibility areas for fundraising staff
- The groups and networks to be approached during the campaign
- How Plus1 will be used to leverage support from the private sector
- The long term benefits of the Plus1 opportunity on the organisation
- The donor stewardship plan
- The proposed project/activity
- The budget for the proposed project/activity
- Audited accounts (to be provided as an attachment)
You’ll also need to support budget figures for external services or products such as consultancy fees, hardware purchases, software expenses, etc. with quotes from suppliers.
- How does Plus1 work?
Plus1 aims to help organisations build new relationships and networks, increase their private sector support, and develop their fundraising capacity.
We do this by offering matched funding as an incentive to help you gather the support your organisation needs. It’s a particularly effective leverage tool.
Put simply, if your Plus1 application is successful, you run a fundraising campaign to raise money for a project of your choice; and we match whatever you raise during the campaign, capped at either $25,000 or $50,000 depending on the scale of your organisation. So you effectively double your fundraising dollars!
So far, Plus1 has supported more than 250 organisations around Australia to reach their fundraising targets and realise their projects.
- Can you help me write my application?
We can’t read over your application, but we can guide you through the process and talk through your ideas.
We’ve developed resources and case studies on our website that help you think holistically about your professional practice and develop knowledge about the various income streams available to artists across government funding, crowdfunding, donations, foundations, sponsorship, and selling products and services. Our expectation is that you have taken the time to read these important resources before applying.
- How do I maximise my chances of a success?
The most important thing you can do is read all the resources we’ve put together for you. Read the guidelines and application forms thoroughly before you apply, and well before the closing date!
- What do you mean by ‘leveraging’?
Leveraging is just another way of explaining how you will use the dollar-for-dollar matched funding to attract donors and partners and reach your fundraising target. This is not your typical grant or funding opportunity – the harder you work it, the better the result!
- Who is Plus1 for?
Plus1 is for small-to-medium organisations in Australia’s arts industry. So that we can most effectively support this part of the sector, we’ve chosen to define eligible organisations as those that:
- are a legally constituted entity (with an ABN) and are registered as a not-for-profit organisation (as defined by the Australian Taxation Office)
- have an annual turnover of less than $5 million in the previous financial year
- are based in Australia, and are carrying out the majority of their arts activity or practice within Australia
- are operating with the primary purpose of providing arts and cultural opportunities for Australian artists and audiences
If you’re not sure if your organisation fits into this box, it’s best to give us a call.
- Are government agencies/entities eligible to apply?
Yes. Non-profit arts and cultural organisations are eligible to apply, provided they can raise funds from the private sector and demonstrate that funds will be directed to a dedicated arts entity engaging professional artists (e.g. a council-run gallery or an arts and health centre that employ professional artists).
- What types of projects and activities will Plus1 support?
The fundraising target and the project or activity you take on with the funds you raise is totally up to you. You don’t need to choose a project from the examples listed in the guidelines; if it addresses an identified need in your organisation and presents as an attractive proposition for donors, then it’s good to go.
What’s important is that you show us how Plus1 will help your organisation find new donors, and the strategy you’ve put together to make this happen. In particular, Plus1 is about finding and developing new avenues of support. Reaching out to those who haven’t supported you before should be an important part of your fundraising strategy.
You also need to show us why your project is important, and how the campaign will benefit your organisation in the long term.
- Who and what won’t you support?
Recipients of Plus1 funding in the previous year are not eligible. Schools and tertiary training institutions are also not eligible.
There’s a range of different items and activities we can’t match, either. These are listed in the program guidelines.
- What about individual artists, or groups?
Plus1 is not for individual artists or independent arts groups. We have a specific program – MATCH Lab – for individual artists and groups to develop their fundraising skills and experience.
- Should I contact you before I submit my application?
Yes! We strongly recommend that you give us a call to discuss your application before submitting it. We’re here to help and answer any questions you may have.
- Can I apply for if I’ve received Plus1 funding before?
Yes, unless you received Plus funding in the previous round.
If you received Plus1 funding in 2016/17 or earlier and your organisations does not have an existing or outstanding funding agreement or acquittal with us you can apply again.
However, if you’ve received Plus1 funding from us before, you’ll need to tell us in your application how your new fundraising campaign has built off the success of your earlier Plus1 campaign.
We suggest giving our programs team a call if you want to apply for Plus1 a second time.